SEDCO’s 32nd Annual Meeting – Peter Twachtman, The Migis Hotel Group as Keynote Speaker
Please join SEDCO’s Board of Directors for the 2017 Annual Meeting and help us celebrate Scarborough’s dynamic business community. We are honored to feature Peter Twachtman, Chief Operating Officer of The Migis Hotel Group, as our keynote speaker.
Peter Twachtman joined the Migis Hotel Group in early 2009, bringing 20 years of hospitality and management experience to the leadership team. He has been instrumental in setting policy and practice at the corporate and property levels for The Migis Hotel Group. He attended The University of Southern Maine, completing a BS in Business Administration and later The University of Massachusetts, Amherst where he earned a MS in Hotel and Restaurant Management.
The Migis Hotel Group has done a masterful renovation of the Higgins Beach Inn this year. They also continue to manage the Black Point Inn in a way that pays tribute to the Inn’s history and tradition. Both of these properties play an integral role in Scarborough’s history and economy. – Kevin Freeman, SEDCO Chair
2016 Maine Tourism Highlights
- Total Visitations: 2015 – 33, 853,851 people; 2016 – 35,810,568 people
- Total direct expenditures for tourism in 2016 equaled nearly $6 billion, which equates to $16 million per day, $683,731 per hour, $11,396 per minute, and $190 per second.
- Tourism is one of Maine’s largest industries, supporting a total of 105, 957 jobs, about 16% of employment in the state (1 out of every 6 jobs).
- If traveler spending in Maine dropped by 15%, the average household would see an increase of approximately $160 in taxes to maintain government services at current levels.
- Nearly 19 million visitors spent one or more nights in Maine on tourism-related trips in 2016.
- Maine hosted nearly 17 million non-resident day visitors in 2016.
- Canadian day and overnight visitation to Maine in 2016 accounted for nearly 4.5 million visitors.
- Direct spending on tourism–related trips by overnight visitors to Maine totaled over $4.5 billion in 2016.
- Overnight first-time visitors spend, on average, nearly $165 more on their trips to Maine than do repeat overnight visitors.
Source: Maine Office of Tourism