Life in Scarborough is sweet! And given the growth in the community, the secret is out.
Great schools, four beaches, competitive property tax rates, a growing restaurant community, world-class retailers, the internationally known Scarborough Marsh, walkable neighborhoods, you can find all of these features within 10 minutes to downtown Portland.
Want to know who lives in Scarborough? Let’s start with some simple stats:
- 20,300 people (2018 estimate)
- Growth rate of 51% from 1990 to 2010
- 9th largest community in Maine
Significant characteristics of the population from the 2018 American Community Survey data (5-year estimates), US CENSUS Bureau:
- Mean Household Income: $115,820
- Median Household Income: $95,000
- Mean Family Income: $132,980
- Median Family Income: $115,641
- Median Age: 47.3
- 82.2% of households are owner-occupied
- 72.5% of households are family households
- 33.4% of households have 1 or more children under 18 years of age
- 45.3% of households have one or more adults aged 60 and over
- 67.4% of population is in the labor force
- 23% of Households are 1-person Households
- 32.1% of residents work in Scarborough
- Mean travel time to work: 18.9 minutes
- 97% of residents 25 and over have a high school degree or more
- 54% of residents 25 and over have a bachelors degree or more
To find all of the available ACS data, download our excel files. We’ve done the work for you, culling through 100’s of tables to get you the most comprehensive picture of Scarborough Maine, in a useable format.